Listed Buildings Consent

If you wish to demolish a listed building, or alter or extend it in a way that affects its appearance or character than you must first apply for listed building consent from your local planning authority, who will look at whether the changes to the building are appropriate and sympathetic to its character.

The most common Listing for a building considered of significance Architecturally or Historically is Grade II. In our area there are relatively few Grade I or Grade I star Listings.

A Grade II Listing means that any alterations to the exterior or interior will require approval by the Local Authority Conservation department, part of the planning department.

Draycott Chartered Surveyors will be able to guide you through this process including advice prior to purchasing a property.

Alterations will include changes to internal layout as well as any changes or extensions to the exterior. We deal regularly with the local Conservation Officers so can advise you on whether consent is required and how your desired proposals may be considered.

Individuals carrying out unauthorised works to a listed building can be prosecuted and a planning authority can insist that all work carried out without consent is reversed, which can be considerably costly, therefore please talk to Draycott Chartered Surveyors before embarking on any plans.

Please complete the quick inquiry form on the right of the page and we will respond promptly to your enquiry.

Contact Form

    Unable to talk to us right now? Please complete this form for a prompt response to your enquiry. *Indicates required fields.

    Your Name*


    Your Email*

    Please tick your areas of interest:

    Building surveyOther surveyBuilding projectHomebuyer reportSpecific defect reportContract AdministrationArchitectural Design and PlanningLandlord and Tenant

    Your Message